Johnny Lightning (kit #6903)
Other Batmobile Models
1980: Batman #330
1992: Batman Returns
2006: Legends of the Dark Knight #198
1972: Batman #246
2005: Batman/Danger Girl
1952: Batman #73
1939: Detective Comics #27
1944: Batman #25
1968: Detective Comics #377
2005: Detective Comics #800
1990: Legends of the Dark Knight #5
2005: Batman Begins/The Dark Knight
1977: Batman #288
1969: Detective Comics #394
Other Comic & Manga Models
Detective Comics #27 Batmobile
Detective Comics #597 Batmobile
Armada Hot Shot
PvP Dexter Jettster
Batman #164 Batmobile
Batman: Man-Bat Batmobile
Batman #20 Batmobile
Detective Comics #400 Batmobile
Detective Comics #800 Batmobile
Batman #408 Batmobile
Judge Parker Corvette
Lupin III Mercedes-Benz SSK (Review)
In the comics, the first generation batmobile was replaced in 1950 after being destroyed on a mission. The new Batmobile was larger, more powerful, and better equipped than the previous car, and included features like rocket thrusters, radar, and an onboard crime lab. Until Polar Lights released their diecast offering, this car was only available as a resin model. Not only is this version less expensive, it captures several features of the car (like the headlights, frameless canopy, and fin shape) even more accurately.
The quality of the kit was fantastic, so most of the work I did went into painting and detailing. One strange note, however: the chassis is in amazingly accurate replica of a late 1950s Cadillac chassis. The anachronism stems from the master (created by Mike Stutelberg) having been created from a Monogram '59 Cadillac. It does work as an inside joke, expanding on Batman's comment in the comic that the car was "ten years ahead of anything else on wheels." Still, a Cadillac would have been a good base for a 1950 Batmobile: the automaker had just introduced their powerful new overhead valve V8. I painted and detailed the chassis as if it were a Caddy item, and I added the rear suspension yoke from Monogram's '59 Cadillac.
Inside, I used custom-mixed paints for the wood cabinets and marble counter tops. The rear work surface was laminated to represent a 1:1 painted ceramic laboratory table, complete with bare metal edging. I made a couple of slight modifications to the details on the bench; the sides of the beaker were thinned down to a more realistic size, and the flask was drilled out and plugged with a rubber stopper (made from a short section of the tapered end of a toothpick). Instead of using the map, ruler, and pencil provided in the kit, I laid an anti-skid rubber pad made from a stip of electrician's tape. The dashboard was detailed with paint and Bare Metal Foil, using colors to try to replicate the "aircraft cockpit" style. I went back to Monogram's '59 Caddy for the steering wheel, and the telephone was replaced by a more accurately sized scratchbuilt part and vintage appropriate straight phone cord.
Once the interior and chassis were completed, final assembly was pretty simple as the body section needed only minimum detail work.
Send me an e-mail with your thoughts!